View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think it depends on who is running the tournament and who is assigning the tournament. I just worked a tournament where it was a camp and we were told to handle our business. The officiating was looked at as an asset and not a liability. There are more than enough tournaments where they can worry about where the officiating is coming from. But the reality is it only as good as you want it to be. You only do not respect the officials, it gets around. Even in the large area I live there are officials that refuse to work games in AAU (including myself) without some backing and support by the people assigning.

Peace
I agree that a lot of it depends on who the assigner or TD is, but the reality is there are too many assigners and TDs whose philosophy is "don't rock the boat" to keep the assigning gig/keep teams with s*ithead "coaches" coming back and paying.

I do think you'd agree with me that a camp setting is often different from a non-camp setting. The camp directors want the games officiated like sanctioned games in order to best evaluate the campers, so they make that clear to the TD up front that they will be taking care of business if necessary. Of course, plenty of camp directors are spineless and will tell their campers to pander to the coaches. Ironically, the camps I've been to where the latter has been the case have more often been high school team camps vs. AAU-type events. But the high school camps have real coaches who answer to an AD/principal and thus you seldom run into issues, anyway.