Thread: Face masks?
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

For those who do not remember, we went through the same thing with the masks for the batting helmets.

It took over 18 months prior to the rule actually taking effect. The rule (ASA) was initiated prior to a NOCSAE testing, probationary period to be completed after a standard being set after ASTM.

The serious parents and coaches went out an purchased whatever they thought would work and yes, there were some garage-developed pieces created and jury-rigged to fit their helmets.

In 2006, when the rule went into effect (requiring the separate NOCSAE certification, the coaches and parents were beside themselves when helmet were turned down as acceptable. Fortunately, what at that time was one of the largest Walmarts in the country was 5-10 minutes away and from what I understand, sold out what masks they had.

They all knew the rule, but could not understand why whatever they put on their DD's helmet wasn't acceptable since it was ..........are you ready for this?......I know you have heard it before.......here it is......ALLOWED AT HOME and all the other tournaments they played that year.

This was a 16U A National, but their confusion was understandable considering the other questions I fielded concerning what they were allow to get away with that season which included using an EH, 2 DPs (know idea how that worked), must slide rules and Steve M's favorite, a no jewelry rule.

Should USA Softball follow suite with the pitchers, assuming they hold to the same legal liability beliefs as in the past, we may see this whole scenario repeated.