View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 17, 2017, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
I am a medical doctor, and I say hogwash. There is absolutely no published medical journal evidence to support those claims, and I've had to remove/dig out those things and treat infections on more than one occasion. Nip that in the bud before it gets started. I'd advise you tell the players to get a legitimate note from their medical doctor or have that nonsense out of their ears before the next set of games.
I can't speak from the USA side or the medical side of things, but I think from an umpire's side of things at the High School level, this is where the player would need a doctors note indicating the device is for medical purposes. Generally we are told that if there are any equipment pieces that are non-traditional in nature, they need approval of the state association. I think for medical devices like prosthetics a state association letter is needed as well. I would consider this the same way.

I don't doubt that there may be some truth to the fact that pressure points can help with migraines, but I think there needs to be much more study done to determine if it is really effective.

Sadly we now live in a world were legitimate medical treatment, snake oil, and anything else are all being lumped into one big witches kettle and what comes up depends on the medical provided providing the information.