Thread: Collision at 1B
View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 16, 2017, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Lower skilled teams. I was watching the game. USA rules.

Batter hits an infield ground ball.

F3 is set up for some reason off 1B toward home straddling the foul line.

Throw to F3 arrives before the runner arrives, and F3 clearly has possession of the ball before BR arrives.
Going to assume that at this point, there has been no impediment to the BR prior to possession
Quote:

But since F3 is off the bag (and partially in foul territory) she attempts to reach back with her leg to find 1B with her foot, but is finding the orange bag, not white.
At this point F3 owns the field as long as she retains possession of the ball.

Quote:
BR arrives before F3 manages to touch the white bag. BR, running toward the bag, remains upright and collides squarely with F3, knocking her down. BR then touches the orange bag.

There is no attempt at a tag, and there is no indication of malicious intent on the part of the BR.

Call?
Out.

8.7.Q: (The Batter is Out) When a defensive player has the ball and the runner remains upright and crashes into the defensive player.

And I know what the RS has to say about a tag. Well, two things here. First, attempting to touch first base with one's foot while in possession of the ball to retire a BR is, by definition a tag. Secondly, I would defer to the stated intent of the rule which is noted in the opening of RS#13 "In an effort to prevent injury and protect a defensive player attempting to make a play on a runner..."

IMO, the "waiting to make a tag" insertion in the RS (only) was a default as to when such an act is seen the most. The RS even offers options to avoid an out ruling, three of which were available, though one very unlikely to the BR.

The act in the OP is a rarity, but think about what you would do if it were F4 turning their back to touch 2B on a force and the runner just pushed the defender aside in order to reach that base safely.