View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 13, 2017, 05:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Absolutely agree. But I think the concern is what could happen. Not everyone can follow directions and get their head in the right place. Some umpires get very comfortable in their stance and that is a great place to be. Unfortunately, some get too comfortable in a certain stance and lose track of the fact their head isn't where it is supposed to be. IOW, I believe there is a train of thought that some will put the stance above the priority of getting a good look at the strike zone. IMO, those are the umpires who need to be corrected.

If you get the opportunity this summer, watch whatever youth baseball and softball you can on TV. Many of these guys/gals will look good behind the plate, but I'm willing to bet there will be some not at the top of the zone nor lined up on the inside edge of the plate. And it isn't just those using a GD stance. If nothing else, you need to give USA points for consistency.

This must be one of those softball-only concepts.

I have no desire to get down to the top of the zone. I want to be locked at the same spot for every batter, head just above the top of the catcher's helmet.

I don't need my eyes there to know where it is. Just like the outside corner or the knee.