View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 11, 2017, 03:02pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
2. The typical situation where F3 is standing next to 1st base when the ball is hit to the outfield with no play being made at 1st. Some runners try to hit the inside corner and have to do a swerve step to avoid F3. Other runners seem to accept that F3 is cutting off the inside portion of the bag and take a much wider turn, but with no real visible change in their running motion. So, is the fact that F3 is setting up on the corner enough to call obstruction? Or do I need to see a real deviation in the way the runner moves around 1st?
I see this happen a lot, especially in high school and USA play where F3 really doesn't know any better (that, or she sets herself up there on purpose to make the BR widen her turn at first base). I call obstruction every time. As you mention, runners are taught to round first on the inside corner, and F3 has no business setting up there to take that away.

Sometimes you just have to be a student of the game.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker