View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 06, 2017, 08:48am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I am still finding I a bit ambiguous about the swing follow through hitting ball or catcher being INT and any natural part of the swing not being INT.

"In USA Softball, Rule 7-4-I and Rule Supplement 24 says that if a batter swings and misses the pitch, and then on his/her follow-through hits the ball, or hits the ball after it bounces off the catcher or his/her mitt, then the ball is dead and runners cannot advance. "

AND

"So a normal hitting action and a normal follow thru are not interference"
Those two statements do not conflict. You seem to be interpreting making the ball dead and runners not advancing as an Interference. It's not. It's just what it is, a dead ball and runners can't advance. No different than when a batter swings and misses the pitch, but the ball hits her in the forearm. You kill it, and it's a dead ball strike, with runners not advancing. It's not interference.

I'm still looking for something that covers the batter hitting the catcher on the follow-through. RS 24 doesn't specifically address this. But I suppose it's not a stretch to say hitting the catcher or the mitt is the same as hitting the ball itself.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker