View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 05, 2017, 09:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Jeff:

I am going to use your comments as my jumping off point because I am surprised that Illinois would rule that it is illegal. That said...

In the "Ancient Days", the NBCofUS&Canada Rules Committee (now that NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's Rules Committees) did make a ruling with regard to players and face masks to protect broken noses. We have all see the type of clear molded acrylic mask. The Rules Committee ruled that these types of masks were legal, but what the Rules Committee did say was that a football helmet face mask could not be worn instead of the molded mask.

Let us now jump ahead to the present time. I officiated H.S. (NFHS Rules) soccer only but did officiate not travel soccer (USSF, now USA Soccer Rules) from 1993 to 2005. Concussions started to be discussed around the turn of the century Full 90 produced its first type of head piece for soccer players. The head piece was made of a soft material like this one but was not initially ruled legal because soccer players used their heads to strike the ball (gee, I wonder why a soccer player would get a concussion). I personally, thought that it was a no brainer for it to be legal, but what do I know.

Mark, Jr., and I have officiated Special Olympics basketball games on a number of occasions in which a player has worn the Full 90 head gear and I have never given it a second thought. In fact we have officiated a boys' basketball game in which one of the players wore an insulin pump as well as a girls' fast pitch softball tournament in which one of the participants also wore and insulin pump.

I just do not see how this product can be ruled illegal and if it is legal I do not believe it should be subject to the color restrictions. Just my two cents.

MTD, Sr.
Mark their justification was simple. They did not have any scientific evidence these things worked and did not fit any appropriate basketball usage. They did something similar with some covers on helmets. Now why would that surprise anyone? The NF has not even addressed this publicly. I am sure the NF is also leery of these things and probably why they have not approved them nationally. And basketball is a contact sport that the things you have on will likely strike another player. Those things are different than what is allowed in sports like baseball or softball where there is almost no contact in the game.

Peace