View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 05, 2017, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

My $.02.

I have, at times, done what you did; and I have, at times, been more reactionary as others have suggested. It may vary based on a game situation, or just a "feel" I may have at the moment. I believe that most "hard and fast" rules about game management are too broad to be as effective as a good game manager that has a feel for the situation.

Now, that said, you probably knew there would be a second comment when you ignored the first. They will take as much liberty as you give them, and keep pushing the boundary until you make it clear where the line is. You drew the line; it stopped.

IMO, the only person that can decide if you took too much is you. If you are questioning yourself, you probably feel that you should have acted sooner. Perhaps addressing the first comment would have kept the second from happening. BUT, since the first was when HE struck out, it was more likely an emotional outburst, while the second comment was clearly more him pressing the boundary because you ignored the first. A direct conversation with the offender on the first was more likely to result in an ejection, and THAT one maybe use the head coach; on the second, and especially as a repeat offender, maybe should have addressed the player directly.