View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 19, 2017, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Several issues here.

The partner is, as occasionally happens, literally correct in the exact wording in the manual; the problem is, as if most often is with those that only accept the exact literal direction, that the manual direction is flawed. It doesn't take into account a play which rightfully must extend the DDB period without the ball being batted!! So, I'm not refusing to work with him, nor will I continue to argue with him. I'm calling it as I believe it should be called, and if he kills the live ball, he can explain that to whichever coach he has to deal with.

Nor is either possible mechanic at the end of the play free of issues; we have heard both sides here, while the manual is unclear. My personal opinion falls on the side of treating it the same as obstruction; if I called the IP (or heard it and know it happened), I'm calling a dead ball, not an out; but also clearly NOT calling the runner safe. Then when the dust clears, I am LOUDLY and clearly announcing to the offensive coach (in USA/ASA and NFHS) the option of the result of the play (your runner would be OUT, and you get the result of the pitch call), or the enforcement of the IP (it's a ball on your batter and each runner is awarded one base). I am also facing the defensive coach and bench while verbalizing this LOUDLY, as his hearing exactly what is happening is the key to moving forward.

In NCAA (I did specify USA/ASA and NFHS), I am directed to tell the PU, and the PU gets to notify the coaches of the option, instead of the BU that made the call. If the PU called the IP, and I'm unaware, I call the out, and he can/should address the option and place the runner back on base. YES, even if she left the field (as she SHOULD when I call her out).

Just how I would handle it; I'm sure others could handle it differently.