View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 15, 2017, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So you have never been in a game where the PU has to focus on a low outside pitch or where the catcher jumps up and blocks the PUs field of vision?
The only time something happened to me like that, it was a left handed batter and I was at first. I mentioned that one earlier in the thread. I ruled strike and had to deal with a coach who questioned my mechanics and an assignor who called me the same night after the game. That being said, I think everyone knew the batter had swung. The assignor just wanted to know what I had seen because he had to deal with the coach complaining to him. I didn't get any heat for it, in the end.

Frankly, 90% of my career baseball assignments have been behind the plate. I have only been an umpire for 5 years, making varsity in my second season. Last season I had a full slate of varsity games and not a single base assignment. This year, 3/4 of my assignments were plate assignments and I only got base assignments because I requested to get some experience there. So, I suppose this could happen to me some day but just hasn't happened yet.

In softball, I get a few base assignments, but still, I receive far more plate assignments than I do base assignments.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mbilica; Thu Jun 15, 2017 at 12:16pm.