Thread: NBA Finals
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 13, 2017, 06:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
I disagree with your blanket assessment of HS referees.
Keep in mind high school officials also work other levels. So there are officials that have either been to other level training or have taken the time through video study or watching others to get better in this area. But again, high school officials are from the brand new official to the 40 year veteran.

Quote:
What I see in the NBA is players getting two or even three steps following the foul and still being given "continuation". It is a different interpretation. Im sure a quick youtube search would reveal a lot of examples of "and ones" in the NBA that would not be three point plays in NFHS.
Couple things that need to be stated. The NBA has a different rule for traveling which would allow a different allowances for when a pivot foot is established. That would make a difference. Secondly the rule still is basically the same as when you are fouled you are allowed to continue your normal motion. So if you have not traveled or not stopped what you were legally able to do (unless you dribble again) then that motion can continue. Where is the rule different? During the Finals Curry had a play where he was fouled and put up a shot and was given the shot. The only thing at issue was if he dribbled again which he did not and he was awarded the shots.

Quote:
But there is no reason to quibble on this. The continuation interpretation has a very small impact on the game and your original point still holds.
Nothing really to quibble over or have a major debate about, I just think it is clear to me that many think the rule is so different when it is not. Even your description does not take into account how a player in the NBA establishes their pivot foot. And the reality is that high school officials often do not award any shots if the shooter is not off the floor to elevated to shoot at the time of contact.

Peace