View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 13, 2017, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
If the batter-runner is hit by an uncaught pitch while advancing to 1B (ball 4, bounces off the catcher), I can't find rule support for an INT out. I've been up and down the rulebook (Rule 8 for the curious), but I will happily defer to anyone who can cite a reason to call an out here.

However, if there is a loose ball or a throw that is intentionally interfered with, now we can call an out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Why does it have to be intentional if the BR hindered the catcher access to the ball? Is it just the usual Catcher/BR can't always avoid in close proximity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
I'm guessing the rationale is, F2 had her chance at fielding it cleanly (on the pitch) and booted it.
[For your consideration]

While not explicitly covered under 8.2-F(6), which applies to a dropped third strike, how/why do you believe this should be handled differently? F2 had the same chance to field an uncaught third strike as the uncaught ball four, so that cannot be the rationale; and the offense has, in the same way, interfered with the defense's opportunity to make a "play". In that case, it doesn't need to be intentional, it must simply be an act that interferes; why not the same treatment for this?

[/devil's advocate]