View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 09, 2017, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Sure it is. A goal is not necessarily a try. If it is not a try or act of shooting, the ball becomes dead immediately on the expiration of time or on a whistle. If it is a try in such cases, the dead ball is delayed until try ends. If a player is in the act of shooting, the dead ball is delayed (on whistles for defensive fouls) until the try ends.

The difference between a try that results in a goal and a non-try that results in a goal is all about intent.
Ok I stand corrected on the scenario where a foul is occurring. But take that away, no foul occurring, if the ball just bounces off someone and goes in the basket (as Billy Mac's example illustrated), that basket should be counted and intent does not matter.

If we apply NFHS to the LeBron case the other night, given the luxury of several replays it looks like the foul occurs slightly before the pass goes in the basket. Technically the ball is dead and the basket should not be scored. However in real time I think it would be difficult to tell that difference and I think I would say they were simultaneous and I would count the basket and award the ball to white on the end line for the foul. My 2c.