View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
Had this one in a LL game last spring and the umps blew it. As typical with LL sometimes, especially in minors, SS was playing near grass line, ball went through his legs and hit my runner advancing 2nd to 3rd, ump immediately called dead ball and runner out.

I discussed with him and of course other coach (who is a board member) is adamant that the runner is out. I say once it passes the infielder, that rule does not apply, its just like a throwing error hitting the runner not their fault ball went through legs, both claimed they have never heard or ever seen that? Really? So had to get Green book out and correct them.

But...because he called Dead Ball, there was nothing to do but just let each runner advance one base or could he of awarded more given fact runner at 2B was going to score easily had he just let the play go as he should have.

The idea of the forced runner is spot on call on the initial situation, its one of those that they should write clarification in the rule, that if any runner besides the lead runner is hit by the ball and called out, then those runners would go back since they are no longer forced. Even though it says that, I would still guess 30-50% of those out there will claim those are forced runners because they were forced to go. What Rich is saying is correct, but Im guessing would still be grossly misunderstood.
While I am a softball umpire, the rule is the same.

I kicked this exact call in my very first state championship game. I was 18 years old, working a 16U Class B final. I am BU in a 2 man crew. Bases loaded, infield playing in. A sharp grounder passes F4 and hits R1 advancing to 2B. I call Dead Ball. Uh-Oh. (Mature language.)

I call my plate umpire in, and stammer at him. He says "Just spit it out, teebob." I said, "That ball was past the fielder, wasn't it?" He smiles, and says "Yup. Now what?"

We awarded everyone one base, and I learned a valuable lesson on timing that day.