View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
Naturally, the rules don't directly address this particular case, but we can infer from the following rule that you made the correct call:

OBR 6.06c
The batter is out when he interferes.... by making any other movement that hinders the catcher's play at home base.

If there had been less than two outs, the runner would have had to return to third, which was the last base legally touched before the interference. In this case, make sure to announce that the run does not score.

If the batter had continued to try to avoid contact, he would have been okay, but he is obligated to pay attention and stay out of the way once he finishes his offering at a pitch.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Actually I did have classic batter's interference at the plate earlier in the same game and because it was only one out I called the runner out, which is the correct call in OBR.
(The batter had just walked on a wild pitch but lingered at the plate when R3 came running home.)
In my OP the coach had asked me how far the batter has to back up to avoid an interference call?
I told him he must do more than just back up--he must avoid the catcher when he is attempting to tag the runner ( or while throwing the ball to F1 if covering the plate)
I was wondering how others feel about my interpretation..

Last edited by MT 73; Wed Jun 07, 2017 at 11:01pm.