View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 06, 2017, 02:19pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Voice and signal at the same time is the school way for BASEBALL. Which is why it didn't seem unusual to me, I guess.

As someone considering working HS fastpitch games next season (I have a license that I maintain cause I assign and....you never know) it's great to see. My timing is a bit slower than his, but he did an amazing job for having to call so many pitches. I doubt after so long I could split the verbal and the signal without feeling goofy about it.
When I started working FP softball after doing baseball for ten years, it did take me a while to rewire my brain to do the two-count Strike mechanic. I was often accused of being a baseball umpire trying to do softball games.

Now when I work an occasional baseball game just to help a local league out with their shortfalls, I get accused of being a softball umpire trying to do baseball. Go figure.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker