View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

The original rule that you quoted before the RS is outdated, to say the least. In my experience, the flood of tablets, go pro cameras, ipads, etc. cannot be stopped. I've coached against travel teams who use the go pro cameras on the backstop. They tend to point them right at the batter. They're definitely not there to gain an unfair advantage in my experience. As you stated, they're used by the coaches to record and improve their players' batting, and they're also good to send the game to grandma and grandpa who cannot make it to the field. I use a small tablet to score my games using the Gamechanger app. iScore is another popular scoring app that is used. It's an amazing thing. For the longest time, I didn't want to use it, but it's an amazing app with amazing stats and information that is valuable to the player and coaching staff. Occasionally, I'm forced to carry my small tablet with me when I'm coaching 3rd base, but it's hard to keep up with everything. The awesome thing about those scoring apps is they allow somebody at home to "watch" the live scoring of the game on their home computer (again, good for grandma and grandpa).

It sounds like to me you were dealing with over-zealous people who were just looking for something to complain about. I will say this about the go-pro cameras-- I predict they'll be outlawed soon because they're already being used to make youtube videos about bad calls, etc.