View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Electronic equipment

We worked a small USA invitational tournament this past weekend. A question came up about the use of electronic equipment.

4.7.C.5
No electronic equipment, to include cell phones, pagers, etc., are allowed to be worn or carried on to the playing field.

RS11 COMMUNICATION / ELECTRONIC DEVICES

Communication / electronic devices, including audio / video equipment, are not allowed on the playing field. ...Electronic score-books, however, are permitted for use by base coaches.

Our first debate revolved around the RS comment that electronic score-books are permitted for use by the base coaches. We had a small group of umpires maintain that this means the devices could NOT be used in the dugout. My position is that the coaches cannot stop keeping score when their team is on defense and that the RS provides the exception for a device that CAN be brought onto the field. This faction argues that the device would have to be left outside the dugout when the team is not at bat. I find this to be poor interpretation and defies proper logic.

As a follow on discussion, I posed the question of what constitutes the "playing field". Several umpires claim that the playing field includes the dugouts as they feel they have authority over what might be happening in said dugouts.

2.1 The Playing Field
The playing field is the area within which the ball may be legally played and fielded. There shall be a clear an unobstructed area between the foul lines and within the radius of the prescribed fence distances from home plate.

Thus, my opinion is that the playing field does not include the dugouts.

Next, there was the question of the device being used by one team. It was being used to maintain the lineups and serve as a score-book. What was not clear was if the device had the ability to record and/or "communicate" with other devices. Second hand information to me was that when asked if the device was a score-book, the answer was yes; when asked if it could be used as a cell phone or recording device, the question went unanswered. Apparently, "apps" can be installed on various devices that can serve to keep score of a game, but the device is not a dedicated electronic score-book.

Finally, during the championship game, one team mounted what I was told was a "go pro" to the backstop. There was also a cell phone mounted right next to it. The opposing coach complained about it claiming it was not allowed. We viewed it a parents simply wanting to record their kids' game. I found out later that the device was "live streaming" the game via Facebook.

I am a technology weenie and don't know much about a lot about these new fangled toys. It seems that NFHS rule set is a bit more clear about electronic devices than USA. Just the rule and rule supplement noted above seem to be at least a little bit in conflict. I do view the RS as trying to make the exception for a dedicated electronic score-book to be allowed on the field.

Your experiences and opinions?

Thanx.