View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I wonder why? It is true that by rule only the team's head coach can verify the lineup card, acknowledge that his/her players are properly and legally equipped, and that players and equipment are in compliance with NFHS rules. But that doesn't mean an assistant coach cannot attend the plate conference with the head coach. Does your association find something improper with assistant coaches attending the conference? Some of those assistants are going to be head coaches at some point, so why not let them attend and learn?
Quite frankly I never gave it much thought as to why.
And in 6 years of umpiring NYC HS I have never had an assistant coach even try to come out for a conference.
Heck, 70% of the teams do not even have an assistant coach.
To repeat, I wil not just remain mute if a coach has a legitimate question or seeks a ruling in a respectful manner.
And if an assistant coach is on first base and claims that F3 was off the bag I will react s if the manager made such a request.
But I will NOT give the same leeway to an assistant as I would to the head coach because they are not in charge of the team.
The only time that I ejected an assistant ( it was during the summer travel season) was when a scorekeeper came out to question a tag play.
After I explained to him the runner got under the tag he rolled his eyes and tossed his clipboard into the air.
I waited until he picked it up and then tossed him.

Last edited by MT 73; Mon Jun 05, 2017 at 12:12am.