View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

From my perspective, I agree they followed the correct process and discussed the obstruction relative to the tag at home plate. But I think there is enough evidence to support those who say she should have been put back at 3rd and not awarded home.

Definitely we can not see what happened at 3rd. But even if she was knocked to the ground, based on what i did see, i would not give her home. The reason is that the catcher was standing not very far from home plate with possession of the ball. Had that runner tried to advance home, i judge that the catcher would have beat her to the plate and tagged her out. Thus I would have put her back on third anyway, no matter what reason the obstruction was called.

She was also standing flat footed 1/3 of the way down the line and did not run home until the defender dropped the throw. But that is less important because we can't see the obstruction event or know why she was stopped 1/3 down the line. But what helped my decision is the position of the catcher. I dont think she's making it safely to the plate. And of course this is all hindsight with the help of video replay.