View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Teebob:

Since the calling umpire judged home, it really isn't our place (IMO) to do much more than talk about the process. Especially where we cannot even see the obstruction, so even more difficult to judge if what she should be awarded. His call, his award.
I agree...and that's why I talked through the play as I saw it as shown on video. I didn't comment on the quality of the judgment call, I only stated what judgment call I would have made from what I could see in the video. U3 has much better angle AND distance on the call than I do from behind my keyboard 1000 miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
To your question:

If you are willing to accept what the runner does/did AFTER the award (during a dead ball), why would you not accept what the runner did before the announced award (and during the same dead ball period)? To my way thinking, the runner did complete all baserunning responsibilities, whether before or after.
Fair enough. The actual rulebook verbiage is "Awarded bases must be ran legally", which IMO implies touching in order after an award. I re-watched it and she does touch after the play. When I posted, I was thinking at that time she is just a retired runner...but since the calling official had already determined he was going to award home, I can agree with the interpretation that she ran the awarded base legally.