View Single Post
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 09:44am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
This post got me to thinking about one of my recent partners at a sub-varsity game.

I had worked a few games with him in the past, so knew who he was and kind of what to expect.

This game, he arrived with a handicap placard hanging from his rear-view mirror. (In NH, one can get handicap plates, or a temporary placard which might be used for the driver of the vehicle or a spouse/relative for whom the driver might be transporting.)

I'm not sure who the placard was for, and didn't want to ask. This, the type of person that if you ask "how are you", you'll get a litany of aches, pains, doctor's visits, and lengthy list of prescription medications. So maybe it was for him, or maybe not.

If a person needs a handicap plate, should they still be umpiring?

We parked in a remote area not populated by most fans/parents, and after we left, no one would know it was an umpire's car.
Ted I am legally handicapped with Spondylolisthesis at L5 S1 (Bone (vertebra) slips forward onto the bone below it). I have had it since 1999. I took a few years off to help strengthen the muscles in that area. I still officiate at a high level and use a Tens unit after the game to help when I am in pain.

As we have only worked one tournament together you probably did not know this as I did not bring my Tens unit but you might have noticed me lay down between games that week.

I am able to work most sports by using proper/correct stances and mechanics. The funny thing is my back hurts worse working at a desk job.