View Single Post
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleman View Post
I'm new at Volleyball so please bear with me.

Are USAV rules so different from NFHS rules that a penalty so severe as loss of ALL points would be imposed?

According to your scenario as I understand it, R35 (a player legally on the roster) started the set in place of R33 (a player listed on the starting lineup). You play with R35 on the court to a score of 2-7, meaning there were at least two side-outs (the serve alternated at least twice). R33 then enters the court. Again you play on to a score of 5-11, meaning there were at least two more side-outs.

You now have the listed starter on the court and during the dead ball period, R35 legally enters the game as a substitute for R33.

Is that correct?

I don't understand why you would want to take points off the board.

By R33 entering the game at 2-7, you caused the lineup to be correct and the penalty would be that the team is charged with 2 of its 18 allowed substitutions (R35 in for R33 at the start, R33 for R35 at 2-7). But there would be no loss of points due to the penalty provision that "after the serve has alternated and the first serve is contacted, there shall be no cancellation of points." (That is the NFHS rule.)

Am I way off base?
The NFHS rule is different. The question posed was under USAV rules, which removes all points going back to the point of where the illegal player first entered the match, regardless of serve changes or if the player leaves the court.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee