View Single Post
Old Sat May 27, 2017, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
Too many never seem to improve nor even care about it. Then they wonder why they don't get the "better" games.
This is unfortunate, but true When I first moved over to softball about 30 years ago, many umpires believed longevity was a determination in assignments, including regional and national tournaments. In some places, that was true and you would see some people working games they had no business being on the field.

This is a compilation of conversations I've had with a few umpires over the years concerning moving up:

Me: Did you ever attend a national school?
Him: Huh?
Me: How about a regional clinic?
Him: Well, no
Me: When was the last state clinic you attended?
Him: I made one a couple years ago
Me: Do you even show up for association meetings or clinics?
Him: They always have those on the night my pool league plays
Me: So no?
Him: But I've been doing this for almost ten years, so I know what I'm doing.

Truth was these umpires are often known to have to bullshit his/her way through situations when s/he didn't know the rules or changes made over the years

And many still don't get it. Even umpires who have no desire to travel or work the big games have a professional responsibility to stay up to date on all the rules, mechanics and physical abilities to provide the best game they can to all teams.

But I'll never stop helping umpires if they want it. Even some that don't