View Single Post
Old Sat May 27, 2017, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

When you get wide, you not only drop, but it happens in a way that "locks" you to that height. Other means of getting "low enough" require some part of your body to "bend" (most often the knees, sometimes at the waist with an accompanying head tilt) and some muscles to tense to hold at that spot.

When you rely solely on muscles to hold at a spot, sooner or later those muscles will not hold that exact spot, sooner or later will tire, maybe even spasm (from dehydration, from heat exhaustion, etc.).

Just two days ago, Ole Miss at UCLA, that game played for 4 hours and 5 minutes, and the plate umpire called 423 pitches. Suppose it was a DAY GAME in the Southeast, game time temperature near 90, high humidity, "feels like" heat index over 100? That umpire is a big man, used a spread stance, and he looked locked in for all eleven (11) innings, with very few complaints, even from the talking heads in the booth.

You may believe you are accomplishing the same with your stance, but muscles simply cannot hold you completely still that often, that long; there is a better way. I'm in my 44th year of umpiring, was convinced to spread in the late 1990's, and the only thing I have changed since is where I put my hands. I'm now close to age 65 (October), maintain a busy collegiate schedule along with showcases and summer tournaments, busy high school schedule in the fall; literally hundreds of games every year since, quite a few long (4-5-6) game days, and I am absolutely convinced that my longevity and success is very much related to that spread I adopted about 20 years ago. Umpires my age (and younger!!) that haven't spread have left the game over the years; or struggle at the end of long games (or multiple game days).

You don't have to stretch out 5 feet (or more) in a day; work into it. See how far you can spread until you feel discomfort, then move back an inch or so. After a few games/days/weeks, you will be more flexible, and able to spread further. Stretch it out over time, and you will be able to set your eyes at the sternum of a 5'0" or even shorter batter. If you do, your game will be better for it. And your body (muscles) will thank you!!