View Single Post
Old Mon May 22, 2017, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

I think the umpires were fine. It seems that announcers (pick your sport) have a tendency to dissect and analyze the officiating. Well, I guess if we really think about it, they do the same with coaching. Later in the Cal vs Auburn game, the Cal catcher caught a runner at first base napping and picked her off. The male announcer said the umpire missed the call because the tag was late. The female thought the call was correct. Then we were treated to a defense (with replays, of course) between pitches and plays of each announcers view.

No, I am not arguing for robot umpires but we certainly see how "technology" is enhancing our game experience. Take, for instance, the superimposing of the strike zone box in MLB. And in football, was the pass complete or not? Did the ball carrier step out of bounds? Was it a fumble? Was the knee down? Let's send it to the review booth and show two dozen replays. I don't understand how we have enjoyed these games for years without R2D2 or C3PO letting us know exactly what happened.