View Single Post
Old Tue May 16, 2017, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lurker"77 View Post
Rules Question:
Beyond the fact it shouldn't happen at all if the table is working, any insight into how a player who is both (1) the originally written legal player who never left the legal line-up and (2) was granted entry (as an apparent sub) by the R2/table at 2-7, can generate a fault under USAV rules? Mere mortal logic has that player as a legal participant in both the original and mis-construed book line-ups at that point.

Practical Question:
If the work crew couldn't get the line-ups right for 16 points, am I right in assuming that R1 had more than their say-so that they remembered who was started on court? At some point, may you not have definitive knowledge on when the error in bookkeeping occurred with this type of assistance?
Response to Rules Question:
In USAV, because of the way score is kept, you can go back to exactly the score when any substitution occurs. It was verifiable that an illegal player started the set. Regardless of the substitution that put the correct player in the set, USAV rules makes you go back to the score of the offending team when the error happened. In this case, the illegal player occurred when the offending team had zero points since it was at the start of the set.

Response to Practical Question:
The score sheet was correct but the player keeping score did not believe that she was correct. In the second illegal sub, the scorer actually asked her coach. The coach then got me (R1). Luckily, when I explained to the offending coach what happened, she admitted she started with the wrong player on the court but since we had played a few points before she noticed, she didn't say anything because she didn't know what to do.