View Single Post
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
So now we have three types of official warnings we can issue...

1) Delay warnings (4 infractions)
2) Head coach/bench personnel misconduct
3) Head coach being outside the box

Or will (2) and (3) be lumped together as one "warning," with the next misconduct/box violation being a direct T?
Good question. If not lumped together, that means we have to be specific when telling the scorer what to document in the margin.

Also, a situation I'm pondering is when the coach comes a few steps on the floor to argue---maybe not visibly and vehemently enough to warrant an auto-T for misconduct---but far enough out where it's uncomfortable to the point where in the past you'd go straight to the T just because the coach was demonstrably out of the box. Will there be an expectation to issue a warning now instead? And will officials be questioned and judged by evaluators, assignors, etc., when they choose to skip warnings and go straight to Ts? In other words, there's a very grey line now.

Don't get me wrong, I like the official warning. I think it's a useful tool. But now that it's actually there in writing, coaches will expect it ("Don't I get a warning first?") and they'll whine like crazy when we choose to bypass it.

The absolutes won't be so absolute any more. This will take a little getting used to.