Thread: base mechanics
View Single Post
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Avoiding having BU have to chase that trail runner from 2B to 3B and having to try to make a call from incredibly bad angle, possibly straight lined to the play is the goal here. Sure, if there is no play on trail runner at 2B and she is not trying fen slowing down BU should normally be able to take her to 3B. But PU has responsibility to read the play and be ready to take 3B in order to stay ahead of the runner. If the runner advances beyond 3B, PU is at least starting from a position between home and 3B ahead of the runner.

We had one tonight in varsity HS game. I am PU. Batter hits what is easily a stand up double. Partner button hooks and takes her to 2B. A throw was on the way although batter runner was easily safe standing up. Reasonable expectation was if anything a possible play at 2B if batter runner overran so partner held up near 2B as I moved into the 3B holding area..but the batter runner had other ideas and just kept going. F4 took throw from F9 and fired to F5. Since my partner was now chasing the batter runner I called him off and moved in to take call at 3B. She was out by a couple of strides.

Last edited by UmpireErnie; Thu May 11, 2017 at 05:02am.