View Single Post
Old Wed May 03, 2017, 02:38pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes and mechanics are developed based on the skill of the participants using them. There is a reason the NF in just about every sport keeps things very basic an vanilla. Again, you are dealing with people that have never officiated to people that have 50 years in the same process. You start requiring or even having things that many do not pay attention to in the first place, you might get a certain level of inconsistency. Again it seems only people that really care what the NF does are people that work other levels. Rarely do I hear a only high school officials really get upset over a mechanics change. For example my state in another sport is changing a mechanic that has been the standard in college and in pro for years. My state wants to make that change and there are already people complaining about that change to the point where there are even people suggesting they will not do the change (which will be very noticeable). Everyone is not clamoring to do what the other levels do or advocate, even if you or I feel it is a better process.
I disagree. I don't think the NBA mechanics are something that only their super-highly-trained officials can pull off. The NBA has those really good refs yes, but their system is also superior -- regardless of level of referee.

For example the NFHS says for Lead to watch rebounding when the Trail has a 3-point shooter in the corner. The NBA does the opposite, has the Lead official referee the 3-point shooter in the corner and tells Trail to close down and referee post rebounding action. This makes perfect sense for a bunch of reasons: the Lead is closer to the 3-point shooter and the Trail official naturally has a better big-picture possession-consequence view on rebounding action.

This would not be difficult for your average HS varsity ref to pick up.....it's literally the same responsibility as before, just switching up who does what. Sure there would be an adjustment period but that's not we are talking about. We are talking about which system is better, full stop.