View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
@BSBAL18 The rule doesn't call for an out so I have no problem telling the coach exactly that. @Rich Ives, agree with your comment, I think I didn't express that very well. I got runs all scoring and then you have rule support for the ejection. But both you and @rbmartin are reading the wrong rule in my opinion. You are referring to removing the helmet. Let's suppose the batter had rounded third and held his helmet over his head in joy. Then we have removing the helmet and then all the "ball is dead" statements would apply. But OP clearly stated that the batter takes off his helmet and throws it in the air, and that brings rule 3.3.1l into the picture (“deliberately throw a bat, helmet, etc.;”) and then the penalty is clearly ejection.

@BSBAL18, I would be shading the rule for not tossing the player as you state, but that's a nit which I would not pick. I do a lot of softball, and while the pitcher has the ball, runners can't leave the base. We had an umpire in a varsity game who, because the runner decided to take her left foot off the bag and and then put her right foot on the bag to get herself in her position to run, called her out for leaving the base. Well, she did leave the bag..... That's not a call I'm making either. Part of the job requirement is judgement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk