View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 28, 2017, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
The NFHS and NCAA define the home run line (thus dead ball line) as the base of the fence with the established distance; USA (unless that has also been reinterpreted) includes the fence when it is down, so that uses the top of the fence.

So, the ball was dead when dropped on the fence that lay beyond the "base of the fence" line. Catch and carry applies, since you ruled a catch; it would have been a home run had you ruled "no catch".

Remember, all catches end with a voluntary release ...........
I get what you are saying with voluntary release, but I would tend to be careful with "all". Even in the context of the rule, I think a ball can be caught and then later dropped as two separate actions which do not negate the catch. Example: Line drive to F9 to end the inning...then she drops it accidentally in the infield while jogging to her dugout: still a catch.

In this case, the catch was made and retained all the way through the crash on the fence. She had secure possession while on the ground/fence. While she was attempting to get up, the ball came out. I know that I goofed there by not killing it, which brings me back to my original question. Should the play have been ruled dead-ball catch-and-carry as soon as she made contact with the ground while laying on the fence...which was before the potential drop?