View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 11:21am
Stirrer of the Pot

Did I miss something in this discussion? Where is there a rule that prohibits players from standing at the dugout opening, completely inside the dugout out of live ball territory? It's not our job to ensure players are out of the potential line of fire. There are all sorts of dugout configurations that put players in harm's way; are we supposed to tell those players they need to leave the dugout and go behind it?

Geez, talk about getting involved in something that isn't our business. We don't force pitchers and infielders to wear face masks. We don't direct on-deck hitters to pay attention in the circle and not swing the bat to warm up. We don't advise base runners to stop sliding head first because it's more dangerous than feet first.

Don't get me wrong; I'm concerned about player safety. But those concerns are born out of enforcing the rules about safety. We don't insert ourselves to push agendas that aren't aligned with the rules. If the girls want to stand in the dugout opening, that's on them and their coaches.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker