View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
My catcher's obstruction/batter interference post generated a lot of thought. Here's one from a couple years back that i never got a clear answer to.

I was base ump in 16U ASA tournament. When one of the teams got runners to 3rd, the coach would instruct them on their return to 3rd to keep going away from the line, in front of the 3rd baseman to block any attempt at a pick-off. This was not your standard "take your lead in foul territory, return inside the line" approach. I would keep hearing the coach say "More, More More" as the girls were returning to the base. He was getting them way off the line, maybe 3 feet, in an attempt to interfere with a pick-off. They weren't just returning to the base, they were intentionally blocking the 3rd baseman. Never seen any other team be so blatant.

I was waiting for a throw to 3rd so i could ring a runner up, but catcher never threw down.

Your thoughts? Would that have been a legit interference call?
You would have to judge intentional on that particular occasion and actual hindrance with the throw.