View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 14, 2017, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

If she leaves live ball territory, ring her up and deal with the aftermath - they won't make that mistake twice.

If she doesn't, watch and wait. I had this happen once where BR waited to high five the runner coming to score, then jogged over to first to become the front of the line for the handshake. She touched first on accident, game over.

It generated a fun conversation in the locker room... what if she was NOT the front of the line, and suddenly we have 4-5 players in front of her, on the field, before she touches (or comes close enough that we can call it an appeallable miss, and then ignore when not appealled).

The consensus when this came up at our next meeting was to do just as described ... if the defense is oblivious and she never leaves the field, don't pick up the crappy end of the stick. But if she goes into the dugout before post-game handshakes start, ring her up.

Honestly ... this and similar situations have come up often enough that someone ought to codify it - they've not done a good job telling us what they would want us to do in a situation like this where the game appears to end but doesn't, and the only people who know it didn't were the umpires.

West Houston Mike