View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 10, 2017, 10:16am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Can't think of any. Just stand and point fair until someone figures it out.
Problem becomes when you're working something south of 12U rec ball, and nobody figures it out.

I actually had a situation in a LL Minors game years ago where a batter tried to duck out of the way of a ball toward her head, and the ball tinked off her bat and landed in fair territory in the front of her batter's box. I did point fair, but the batter never moved from the box, and the catcher picked up the ball and tossed it back to the pitcher for the next pitch.

I stayed off the side of the plate, still pointing, but nobody got a clue, not even the coaches. I was expecting a parent in the stands to start yelling "RUN!" or "THROW THE BALL TO FIRST!" Nope, crickets.

Finally, I stopped pointing and said, "THAT was a Fair Ball, everyone!" That's when the Chinese Fire Drill started as the coaches were yelling "RUN!" and "THROW THE BALL TO FIRST!" and the pitcher threw the ball wildly past first base. Batter ended up at first base.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker