View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioTex View Post
simple pitcher re-entry clarification under NCAA rules.

Starting Pitcher #1. Pitches 2 1/3 inning.
Pitcher 1 Replaced at second coach conference in half inning, with Legal sub, Pitcher #2

How much must Pitcher 2 pitch, before she can be replaced? (no injuries).
( Does pitcher 2 have to throw a pitch, finish a batter, record an out?
8.5.2.1 would suggest she does not have to finish the batter. )

Does it change if Pitcher 1 is the Replacement for Pitcher 2 (Pitcher 1 has legal reentry available, . (btw i know Pitcher 1 would not get any warm up pitches if re-enters in the same inning)

Does any of this change if Pitcher 1 was initially forced to be removed because coach inadvertently made a second trip to circle in same half inning?

thanks for the clarification. I was second guessing myself today on this
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioTex View Post
I was hoping there were some other clarifications elsewhere,

So the coach could unintentionally make a second visit to circle in an inning, be forced to pull pitcher 1 .. sub in pitcher 2.. then re enter pitcherk
1.. all without any pitches in between ? . That seens silly, but if 8.5.2,1 is all the guidance sounds l

8.5.2.1 The pitcher may be removed from the pitching position before having delivered a pitch, whether or not the first batter facing her has completed her turn at bat and whether or not the side has been retired
NO!!! Read 6.11.4.

When the coach makes a second defensive conference, THE COACH IS (ADMINISTRATIVELY) EJECTED!! Not forced to replace a pitcher; nor can this ejected coach make ANY changes, the replacement coach needs to report substitutions.

But go ahead and do what you suggest. So we have an ejected coach, a starter that has burned her re-entry, AND a substitute burned without throwing a pitch. Good moves, but the actual result of what you describe.