View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 24, 2003, 04:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Although I don't work NCAA games, an article in the latest Referee Magazine piqued my interest. It said the NCAA has clarified its definition of "team control" this season to mean that there is team control during a throwin (NCAA 4-13-4b). The reason, apparently, is so that a foul committed by the offense during a throwin would be considered a team control foul and not result in free throws. OK - that makes sense to me.

It went on to state that, on a throwin, if the ball is tipped but not controlled by the first player on the court to touch it, team control still exists during the loose ball until it is controlled (for the same purpose - a team control foul being committed).

Here's my question: if there is team control during a throwin, and A1 (in frontcourt) throws the ball in to A2 (also in frontcourt) from OOB and it deflects off A2 into the backcourt where it is first touched by a member of team A - is this now a backcourt violation?

It seems all 4 elements are there, if you consider initial touch by A2 as having established frontcourt status for the ball.

Is there an exception for this, or is it a violation?