View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 28, 2017, 11:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Student fo the game

I think the best officials are simply students of the game. They watch officiating and try to learn from other levels. I think the best high school officials even watch what goes on at the college or NBA for example to learn from things they do. When you stay in a bubble and only think what you are doing or what is asked of you at your level, you never are willing to grow. What guys at all the levels do is what we do at the high school level and often what is done at the other levels will come down to us in high school. I think that is what the best officials do.

Now if you want to get to other levels or not, you have to go to camps and get evaluated by others. It is good to hear what others think about your game. And you should go every single year. Not just when it is going to get you a game or when you are required to go. Go when it has not other benefit but learning about your game or seeing more plays.

Also and finally, find a mentor. Find multiple mentors if you like. And every mentor should be at a level you have not achieved yet to start. So if you are working lower level games, get someone that works varsity ball. Likely someone that has worked the playoffs or even the State Finals (or whatever you call it) in your state or jurisdiction. They obviously either know how to get there or they have achieved it themselves. They can talk from experience and not just someone that is complaining about why others are passing them by. If you want to work college, then have someone that helps at that level as well. It might help you get to where you need to get or what camps to go to or speak on your behalf.

Bottom line those that you will be competing against are doing these things on many levels. There are people that make this their life and try whatever it takes to get better. That manifests itself in how they workout in the off season or the games they go watch when not working. There is no magic formula, but I think you have to be able to watch a NBA game as say to yourself, "How would I have called that play?" When you do that all the time, then you are half way there. If you say, "I do not have to think about basketball until October/November or when the meetings start" you are way behind those and might get passed by and not get as good as you can be.

Peace