View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
By written rule, sounds as if it was handled by the book.

With that said, I've seen plenty of these at end of game that probably fall right within the crosshairs of the written rule at the end of games but don't get called as intentional. The defense who is trailing is fouling with the sole purpose of stopping the clock...it's an unwritten understanding but by written rule, it doesn't seem to get called as such because of the aforementioned.

Same time/place/score - If a non ball handler were cutting and the defense held them on the cut, would we call it intentional...probably not but that would be the way around the intentional call.

I just don't see it called intentional at the end of games when it's clear they are trying to extend the game for themselves.
A cutter being held to prevent a cut is usually a basketball play and one where the defender is caught off guard and/or out of position. A player away from the ball just standing there getting fouled at the end of regulation is an intentional foul. We all know in take-foul situations the offense is NOT running anything except get the ball to the best FT shooter and run the clock.