View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 01:59pm
Esteemed Participant

As others have said, I stopped officiating and started coaching HS ball a couple seasons ago. I have never told officials "I am an official" and never will. Most of the local guys know me. I keep my mouth shut for the most part. I did apologize to a crew in the second half of a game, and told them that they should have T'd me for a comment I made at halftime - and they really should have.

Having said that, I have been very surprised by the comments from officials to me as a coach. Things that I would never say to a coach...perfect example: my defender called for a block. I felt he had LGP and so asked the official (did not know him, from another area) what my player did wrong. Response was "He wasn't set. Gotta be set." I never said a word - just looked at him and shook my head. He then said "Maybe you should try reading a rule book every now and then, Coach." And that's when the fight started...no, I just bit my tongue and said nothing.

Another example...close game. Under 30 seconds left.Our throw-in from our own endline. Player throws the throw-in pass to point guard in back court. Official calls backcourt violation. I ask him to discuss it with his crew and make sure. His response: "I have been reffing twice as long as both of them combined. Asking them would be almost as bad as asking you. Now sit down and shut up."

So as officials, we do sometimes cause some of our own problems.