View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 18, 2017, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
So, this is a basic question, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right. Both NFHS and NCAA are emphasizing the pause or simulation of taking signs on the pitching plate with the hands together, so I'm watching closer for it, and as a result, calling more IPs as PU this year.

(NFHS) Sitch: R2 and R3, outs irrelevant. F1 takes the signal off the pitching plate, steps on with one foot, and immediately brings her hands together. I call IP and signal. The pitcher hesitates, because she knows I've called it, and then finally throws one right down the middle. The batter does not swing.

I call the strike with a verbal and a signal, and then announce Dead Ball and administer the IP. This is the correct mechanic, yes? Both coaches (again, its HS) were confused why I called a strike if the pitch was illegal. They were confused yet again when I announced the count as 2-0 for the next pitch.
Mechanics, yes, you are correct; except you skipped mentioning the part of giving the offensive coach the option between the illegal pitch enforcement or the result of the play. And I believe that is key to the understanding.

It is my experience that stepping out after the pitch and grandly announcing "Coach, we have an illegal pitch called; you have the option to choose between result of the pitch, a strike on the batter or the penalty for the illegal pitch, a ball on the batter and every runner advances a base" pretty much explains to everyone why the obvious result.

After the following action, announcing "the count, as result of the option, is NOW 2 balls, no strikes", and parents, as well as high school coaches, can follow that result, typically.