View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 18, 2017, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Pitch Procedure

So, this is a basic question, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right. Both NFHS and NCAA are emphasizing the pause or simulation of taking signs on the pitching plate with the hands together apart, so I'm watching closer for it, and as a result, calling more IPs as PU this year.

(NFHS) Sitch: R2 and R3, outs irrelevant. F1 takes the signal off the pitching plate, steps on with one foot, and immediately brings her hands together. I call IP and signal. The pitcher hesitates, because she knows I've called it, and then finally throws one right down the middle. The batter does not swing.

I call the strike with a verbal and a signal, and then announce Dead Ball and administer the IP. This is the correct mechanic, yes? Both coaches (again, its HS) were confused why I called a strike if the pitch was illegal. They were confused yet again when I announced the count as 2-0 for the next pitch.

Last edited by teebob21; Sun Mar 19, 2017 at 12:51am. Reason: Original post said hands together, should be "hands apart"