View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 15, 2017, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
RE: the hijab issue... how am I, as the official assigned to that game, supposed to know if the proper documentation has been submitted to the state or not?

To me, it's similar to a player-eligiblity question... if anyone brings it up as a concern, I'll tell them to file a report with the state after the game.

I've had several games the last few years with players wearing hijabs... it's a non-issue.
The problem with that assumption is that, by default, the headwear is illegal. It takes an exception to make it legal. You know if they have the waiver by asking for it. If the team has a waiver for it, they should have a copy of it ready to present....or it should be communicated to your organization as a whole. We has such a case here. The state notified the association that it was approved and the association told all officials that player X at school Y had a waiver from the state. Her coach took care of business and that was the end of that.

Players, on the other hand, don't require special permission to play, generally. Being ineligible is the exception.

By not asking and letting players play with illegal clothing, you are making yourself part of the problem. Such inaction leads to articles like the above.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Mar 15, 2017 at 12:58pm.