View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
In regards to the travel. As advised by many here, if you need it in super slow mo to pick it up we probably aren't calling it.

I have always been an advocate of getting all of the travels even if it meant getting a couple of close ones wrong. I am aware that is puts me in the minority here in the general officiating universe so I do my best to act as Rome would have me act.

Problem with these sorts of plays is when the dribble ends? If I'm officiating the defense and there is traffic and he starts to pull the ball for a psin dribble then curls his arms/scoops the ball. That can be a hard get . . . back to my intial point. If i'm not sure without replay, most people I work with or for don't want you calling it.
I spent last March rewinding/reviewing every spin move I saw. None were, technically, legal. It's incredibly difficult/awkward to get that first foot down before ending your dribble. It just doesn't happen that way.

That said, oif neither coach, none of the players, none of the fans and nearly none of my fellow officials think that play is or should be illegal I'm not going to die on that hill.