View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 11, 2017, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Nothing wrong with asking where you stand, but be prepared for the answer.

Then do not argue or debate the answer. If you are said to not be as strong as other officials, that is not going to be changed by that conversation.

You also have to accept that we are what they think we are. If they do not think we are strong, assignors are not always going to tell you in detail unless they feel they can help. Because honestly, if your assignments are very good, that says something about what they think of you. If they are average or not the top games, then you are clearly not the top guy if you were available when they gave them out.

Peace
Hartsy -

I currently assign about 7,500 hs and youth softball and baseball games during the summer. Rut is 1000% correct about being prepared for the answer. Arguing will not do you any favors.

You said you work with 5 different assigners. Here is a question for you. Whom do you take first ???? IMO too many officials at the high school level will answer this question by saying I take first whoever gets me first. Again, IMO that is the wrong answer. Be honest and let all your assigners know where they stand. Every assigner wants HIS guys...by you taking whoever gets that date first, you become a secondary to most of your assigners. I'm not saying put all your eggs in one basket but try to be honest with them.

The guys who work college basketball on here will tell you that that is what they do. My good friend BNR and I work in two leagues together and both of those guys know where each of us stand. This honesty will reward you in the long run. If you take an assigner 5th out of 5 that is OK as well...just realize regardless of your ability you can't take a guy last and expect to work his post season.

Hope this helps......

Last edited by Multiple Sports; Sat Mar 11, 2017 at 02:58pm.