View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 10, 2017, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

How to and how hard to push for games

After 14 seasons I seem to be in a slump. Given the various levels of experience and geography that contribute to this board, I thought this would be a good place to gather some comments about the process of working with assignors to get games, or get better games. It's probably a number of things working against me. I guess I am looking for some opinions about how to evaluate where I am and what to do about it.

The situation in a nutshell: the number of assignments and quality of the matchups I get for varsity games has not been improving. For about 6 seasons I seem to only be able to get one or 2 games per assignor, working with 4 or 5 assignors. All of them are happy to give me as many sub-varsity slots as I can manage. This is true whether I get assigned as part of a crew or on an individual basis. I have had partners who are getting 10 games from the assignor who gives me 1. I cover games at the last minute, keep my commitments, dont double book, stick around to watch other games and officials, and have never had an assignor call with a question or complaint about how I have handled a game.

So, what is limiting me from building a varsity schedule and having an opportunity to work post season? My ability? Politics? Not aggressively pursuing assignments? Not being seen enough? Is this just how it is sometimes?