View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I guess it's a matter of perspective, but I don't consider that the pitcher is entitled to all 10 seconds. That's the maximum she's allowed, and if the batter is okay standing there waiting until that maximum is reached, that's perfectly acceptable. I won't be calling Time myself without a request.
But the pitcher IS entitled to 10 seconds ... all of them... by rule. The batter does not have a choice in this matter. The batter doesn't get to decide that the pitcher can't have her 10 seconds.

Quote:
But if the batter does request Time because they start feeling antsy waiting the full 10 seconds, I personally see no harm in granting it. If it truly was an issue, the SUP would highly discourage us to grant it. And, frankly, I've never heard a pitcher's coach argue, "C'mon, Blue, she's allowed her ten seconds! Why are you granting the batter Time?!"
The harm is that you are circumventing rules designed to make things fair and equitable in the eyes of the rules makers. TPTB DO discourage us from granting time. This is not MLB (and give it time ... MLB is heading this way too, finally).

Quote:
The reason for my question in the OP was to find out from others if, perhaps, the prevailing wisdom is to not grant it, based on guidance they've received at camps and clinics. Perhaps I do need to change my thoughts on what is appropriate.
The prevailing wisdom is to not grant it.

West Houston Mike