View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 04:37pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
No one is replying...
Perhaps I didn't make myself very clear in what I was looking for.

In NCAA softball (unlike baseball), there is a finite time that the pitcher is allowed to stand there with hands apart, receiving the sign. So why should we grant a batter Time when she asks for it, knowing that if we just wait a couple more seconds, the pitcher is going to violate a rule and be assessed with a Ball to the batter?

I did that probably four or five times this weekend in college play. I was getting to 7-8 seconds in my mind as the pitcher looked in while the catcher received the signal from the dugout, referred to her wrist band for the pitch, then gave the signal to the pitcher who, in turn, would shake it off. Then the batter would ask for time, and instinctively I would grant it without hesitation. Afterward, I wondered why I didn't just ignore the Time request, and see if the pitcher would finally beat the 10-second clock or not. I felt I was being too willing to grant the batter Time.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker